Travel Destination: Angeles City

Angeles City mirrors two distinct images: that of the beauty of nature, and that of the glitter and glamor of city life. If you are bound for the Philippines, then you should visit  the City of the Angels.

Location:

The city is located in Region III, north of Manila / NCR (National Capitol Region), Philippines. It is about 55 miles from the Capital.

Access:

From the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), one can take an airport taxi to nearby bus stations (Victory Liner, Rabbit, Dagupan Bus lines most buses going up north pass by Dau the entry point to Angeles City.) The Victory Liner is the most comfortable, based on the author’s experience. Only the Rabbit Bus lines however, has a station inside the city. For the other buses, you could alight at Dau, which is a jeepney – ride away from Angeles. There are ordinary buses and air con buses, which offer affordable prices.

You could rent private cars and taxis from the airport that could bring you directly to Angeles, but it would be more expensive than the bus fares.

If you decide to take the bus until Dau, then you could ride a jeepney from Dau to Angeles. You have to walk though, the short distance from the bus station to the jeepney stop. If you are totally new to the city, take a ride from the NAIA Airport provided by legitimate and certified airport taxis.

The Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) is inside Clark Freeport, (which was previously the US Clark Air Base.) Travelers from different entry points could now land directly at the airport. Flights from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Incheon Korea, Singapore, Hongkong and Thailand are quite affordable.

For first time-travelers, it is not advisable to hail a taxi outside of the airport for these are no longer covered by airport rules and may not be guaranteed for your personal safety. Accidents can happen in any part of the world no matter what safety precautions are in place if you don’t travel wisely. One could easily be lost in the crowded, metropolitan mazes.

Within Angeles city, jeepneys and tricycles are readily available.

Recommended places to visit:

If you’re a nature enthusiast, the remains of Mt. Pinatubo would be a good place to go. The remains of the eruption in 1991 are still indelibly etched on the landscape. The oldest house-Pamintuan’s residence found at Sto. Rosario St. could be a treat for you. The intricate designs of the house reflect the influence of the Spanish occupation. The Clark Special

The Beauty After the Onslaught - Mt. Pinatubo, photo by lacesdews

The Beauty After the Onslaught - Mt. Pinatubo, photo by lacesdews

Economic Zone could be a peaceful place to visit, just to see how the former – US Clark Air Base – looked like. It occupies a large area in the outskirt of the city. There are also several duty-free shops . Taxis can be hired at the gates of Clark or at taxi stops outside SM Clark ( a leading Filipino Mall, found just near the gates of Clark).

Several popular hotels are also within Clark’s perimeter: Mimosa and Holiday Inn to name some. Mount Arayat stands majestic in the center of Pampanga and is less than an hour’s ride from the city proper. It is the only mountain found in the heart of the province.

Mother Nature abounds and local folks usually spent some respite there during the summer months. A guided tour would be advisable if you want to include it in your list.

The museums, churches and old Spanish houses are worth a visit too.

It would be wise not to venture without a competent, local guide. Balibago – one ride from the city proper – is where most tourists stay. There are several hotels in this area, Swagman, Oasis , and many more.  These are frequented by tourists from different nationalities.  Night life is also spectacular.

There are several bars and bistros (some are opened 24 hours), which cater to foreigners who prefer the night life.

Whatever places you decide to visit while in Angeles City, you should be a wise traveler. Always have a map of the city with you, bring only valuables that you need when going out. For maximum enjoyment, stay in groups and employ  the services of legitimate local guides.

Be Sociable, Share!

Related posts:

31 Comments to "Travel Destination: Angeles City"

1. January 24, 2010 - 6:05 am | Permalink

I bet trekkers and lovers of the outdoors will find Mt. Arayat irresistible. Or perhaps budding Sherlock Holmes will find investigating the havoc wrought by Mt. Pinatubo interesting. But for me it's the people of Angeles City. That's my biggest takeaway from my multiple visits. :)

2. January 24, 2010 - 5:11 pm | Permalink

You're such a good host, Jen – I feel as though I'm there. I do think I'd love the Philippines – know any volcanologists there who would give me a tour of the local geology? Hard to believe Pinatubo looks so beautiful – that first picture is breathtaking – just 19 years? after the eruption. In geological time, that's not even the blink of an eye or the flap of a hummingbird's wing.

3. January 25, 2010 - 6:23 am | Permalink

personally i've been to angeles city, in fact i study there, i enjoy the view from abacan bridge, i have never seen mount pinatubo but am an avid reader regarding i's eruption and i also enjoy writing about it, but now that you've mentioned it, i'll see if i can see if i can schedule a trip there within this week, thanks for the info. ;)

4. January 26, 2010 - 6:40 am | Permalink

Wow! Ganda! Surely, I missed alot after being absent the last time the whole gang enjoyed themselves in the city of angles.

I want to have a treck at Mt. Pinatubo, ganda!!!! How a little volcano almost ruined the whole of Luzon and sent down global temperature for a couple years due to a large amount of dust in the atmosphere it spew, now it looks so beautiful and tranquil.

5. January 27, 2010 - 7:13 am | Permalink

I never been to Philippines before but I've seen a lot of scenic, tourist spots on TV. ^^ The view from Mt Pinatubo is simply breathtaking! Nature is indeed full of wonders and I think you're living in a well-blessed country with that. Also, love to visit the churches too.

Of course, if I do, will be sure to look you guys up. ^^

@wchingya
    Social/Blogging Tracker

6. January 28, 2010 - 6:07 am | Permalink

wow. beautiful picture. I'd like to see these places soon.

7. liz's Gravatar liz
    January 28, 2010 - 9:07 pm | Permalink

It’s a very wonderful sight! I love it! We have the contest winners, btw. Thanks!

8. January 29, 2010 - 9:11 am | Permalink

angeles city is such a beautiful place to relax and unwind. though it is considered a city, there are still many places where you could peacefully enjoy your vacation. plus the fact that the place has wonderful people to accomodate you. =)

9. January 30, 2010 - 6:14 am | Permalink

sisig was invented there in pampanga, i absolutely love it! :)

10. January 30, 2010 - 6:33 am | Permalink

i think i should go back to angeles city one of these days. we got lost the first time. or maybe this coming hot air balloon festival.

11. January 30, 2010 - 7:29 am | Permalink

Even though I was not yet around when the Mt. Pinatubo erupted, I presume that it was a devastating phenomenon like my parents and other people I have known who have experienced that great catastrophe.
    But now as you can see, what the picture tells us. Peace, tranquility, and a sense of relaxation is portraited in that place. Now I see that for the days of our trial and sacrifices will bring forth the birth of prosperity and fluorishness in our land indeed.=)

12. February 1, 2010 - 2:34 am | Permalink

I would love to climb Arayat :) I believe I've been there when I was still young. But cannot fully remember the details :)

13. liz's Gravatar liz
    February 1, 2010 - 8:47 pm | Permalink

Hi there!

I have something for you here: http://liezl-read-write.blogspot.com/2010/01/jena

Thanks!

14. February 5, 2010 - 1:06 pm | Permalink

Good Day,

We are about to launch a new contest. If you are interested to be a sponsor, please don`t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

15. February 5, 2010 - 3:54 pm | Permalink

What can i say Wow ganda naman nyan mam jena. Actually, di pa ako nakapunta sa mt.pinatubo parang magandang puntahan yan :)